Metal Edge Testing
Why is it needed?
- Failure of metal edge flashings is often cited as a leading cause of all roof system failure
What is tested?
- Cleated trims with a face greater than 2” or direct fastened trims with a face larger than 4”
When will this be available?
- Possible Inclusion into next IBC in 2024 – testing available now
- Developed with similar goals and testing methods of Low Slope Perimeter Edge per ANSI/SPRI/FM 4435/ES-1
- Lead by the MCA and in development since 2015
- Approved by ANSI on June 25th, 2019 & designated ANSI/MCA FTS-1-2019
Test performed on full length trim assembly with 10’ minimum (Unless standard length is less than 10’)
- Minimum of three tests (six or more if 2 or more faces)
- Test is loaded and unloaded in 1/6 increments until failure
- Fastener Failures
- Flashing Failures
Available now for immediate use as a “Best Practice” for metal roof edge systems.